Sunday 6 July 2008

Guess Which Brainwave!

Whilst being a guest presenter (I was in it for the food! Just kidding.) at Paul Scheele's PhotoReading class in London earlier this year (hosted by the lovely Marilyn Devonish), I managed to sneak some time off to play with the toys. Amongst them was the typical brainwave measuring equipment. This latest version of the IBVA is pretty hip.

It shows you what each side of your brain is doing. Quick and dirty reference:

Left brain - Logical/analytical/linguistic
Right brain - Imaginative/intuitive/arty/musical

To make a gross simplification, for which I hope I shall be forgiven by those in the know, each side has brainwaves coursing through them. They are classified by the frequencies of these waves, and each brainwave has a specific type of attribute associated with them. Up until recently, there had been four main brainwaves:

Beta: 14-40 Hz
Alpha: 7-13 Hz
Theta: 4-7 Hz
Delta: 0-4 Hz

The specifics vary a little from classification to classification. While every part of the brain vibrates to a different brainwave, there is usually a dominant one. PhotoReading is the only process I know of that produces a double dominant brainwave. You can see that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcugISjjgQ8

It takes her awhile to get into mode, but you can see the double arches in each side of the brain quite clearly by the 1:26 mark. How do you do it? It's easier than you think, and, as Alex says in this particular post on PhotoReading brainwaves, don't get hung up over it.

Anyway, Luciana e-mailed me my brainwaves. It will be no surprise to my friends that they were certainly not "normal". In fact, she had to extend the screen to show the full extent of what was going on through my head as I did a certain little process. That is a different screen from the YouTube clip. Those spikes you are seeing there go past 120 Hz (the highest frequency on that screen), well past the normal studies.

Why is this important? Well, it's showing the Gamma brainwave. Why am I excited about this?

"Gamma waves (greater than 40 hertz) have the highest frequency and are involved in higher mental acuity, including perception and consciousness. They are thought to play an essential role in nerve cell communication."
Source: Stanford University Website (http://www.stanford.edu/group/hopes/treatmts/lifestyleandhd/med2.html)

More importantly, no currently publicly available method teaches you how to independently produce that brainwave. Yes, I am aware of Jeffrey Thompson's Gamma Meditation System. I have not tried it, but I have a good deal of respect for the man's work.

The Dalai Lama and it seems, high level Buddhist monks, have access to methods which accomplish this feat. (See the Stanford link.) I'd love to know how they do that.

What's my process? Ask!

1 comment:

Kaye Lee said...

To answer an off-blog question, no it wasn't qigong, although I did test that. The brainwave that showed up was alpha.